At Bishop David Sheppard Primary, we aim to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with an effective command of our spoken language and to develop their love of literacy through widespread reading for enjoyment.
- Read easily, fluently and with understanding
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often for pleasure and information
- Acquire a wide vocabulary and understanding of grammar and language choices
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently adapting language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- Use discussion in order to learn, elaborate and explain clearly their ideas
- Are competent in the art of speaking and listening, making formal presentations and demonstrating to others and participating in debates.